Saturday, March 14, 2009

Feeder in the Greed Machine: 4) Can One Be Kind?

Feeder in the Greed Machine is a short science-fantasy story with an evil twist on cloning devices. The story comes in four parts, to be released on a weekly basis beginning Saturday, February 21, 2009.

This is Part 4. The conclusion. Click here for Part 1, Part 2,
or Part 3.
----

He undid the door, and, as expected, was greeted with a good pair of eyes.


"Hello Tweed," said Williams.

"Mr Cheeves. You find yourself most familiar," said Tweed, standing up.

"It's me, Tweed, you can sit down again," said Williams, sitting down and stretching his thigh over the sofa's arm.

"You're a bastard, Williams."

Williams kicked the small device across Tweed's carpet. "You can do it too."

"No," said Tweed, curtly.

"Come on."

"What is it like?" asked Tweed.

Williams rubbed his forehead. "Well, to be honest, I was really worried at first."

"Yeah? I suppose one would be."

"I was not expecting multiplicity issues."

"But what is it like? When you ... split?"

"I don't split," said Williams, grinning. "I just .. ease into people."

"Clones, you mean," said Tweed.

"Yes! They keep making them. It's like ... a never ending machine. Their - greed."

"So you are starting your plan," said Tweed.

"Dont' be so demure. I already left the plans at the Chinese takeout. Full blueprints. A child could build it at shop."

Tweed nodded. "Can we have a little time. Mary and me, I mean? And ... the kids."

"Join me" said Williams.

"No, no."

"You know I can surround you with Cheeveses and make it a non-option," said Williams. He was breathing heavily, staring intently at Tweed.

"I know."

Pause. A longest pause. Ever.

"Very well. I am going to be kind to you, Tweed," said Williams.

No comments:

Post a Comment